Milly La Foret
- 6 May 2020
The canton of Milly La Forêt is located south of Essonne and a few kilometers from the Seine and Marne.
The town of Larchant, a characterful village, is characterized by its geological layout dominated by an immense crescent of Stampian sandstone massifs (Dame Jouanne forest).
The urban singularity of Larchant lies in the fact that it has the remains of a 1400 m long perimeter wall.
This enclosure is a major historical and aesthetic component of Larchant as well as its church and its tower. The silhouette of the bell tower punctuates each of the five gates of the village and appears on many portions of the surrounding wall of Larchant.
This church was built from around 1175 until the 16th century under the direction of Notre Dame De Paris. The Basilica of Larchant was intended to shelter and present to the many pilgrims the relics of Saint Mathurin.
He is a 3rd century saint, very popular throughout the Middle Ages and who was invoked for the deliverance of the possessed and the mad. The Basilica was burnt down in 1490 by lightning and in 1568 during the wars of religion. In 1675, one of the facades of the tower of the Basilica of Larchant collapsed.
Things to see near the Basilica:
This protruding and wild part of the Fontainebleau forest surrounds the Larchant cove offering varied landscapes of very high quality. In the Dame Jouanne forest, strangely shaped sandstone rocks, birches, oaks, pines emerge on a sandy ground of light shade.
In this forest, vast sandy beaches are the ingredients of a site frequented by walkers and climbers (rock climbing). There are also many traces left in the 105 caves and rock shelters of the Gulf of Larchant, in the form of rock carvings.
Things to see on the forest side: